Important notice for all 512kB ESP module users

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Martinus

Important notice for all 512kB ESP module users

#1 Post by Martinus » 28 Sep 2015, 22:23

I just tried to flash ESP Easy R25 on an ESP-01 with the lastest Arduino ESP staging release (1106) and found out that this is a no-go:

The imfamous Arduino message: "Sketch too big"

It's because development is done on NodeMCU V1.0 devkits with 4MB flash that I didn't notice this before. It's not yet clear what the next stable Arduino ESP package will bring, but we are dependent on that and have little control there.

So beware that things like the recent SPIFFS filesystem may have to be removed from the feature list to keep our project compatible with all ESP modules. Stable R20 on SourceForge does not have issues yet, but on the github development branch were heading to collisions...

And if you still have to buy some modules, better get the ones with at least 1MB of flash to be on the safe side...

Martinus

Re: Important notice for all 512kB ESP module users

#2 Post by Martinus » 01 Oct 2015, 14:10

R26 is ready and compiles on the latest ESP Package staging release (1106) in 415 kB. So we're at 95% of program space now.
Let's hope that the ESP IDE package will not grow any further before the next stable. We have lost spiffs for now, but you can still up/download the settings. And (with a size limit of 4kB) you can still upload a small custom esp.css file.

This might be the "release candidate" to replace the R20 on SourceForge.

sureshmali
New user

#3 Post by sureshmali » 03 Oct 2015, 08:04

I just finished uploading the latest firmware. It compiles fine and I am able to upload. The only problem I see now is, it does not stores the device configuration. If the ESP loses power or reboots, the devices configuration is lost and have to reconfigure.
This is what the memory status is.

Code: Select all

ESP Flash Size:	524288
Free Mem:	25456
I have DHT11 and DS18B20 configured to update the readings on Domoticz. It work absolutely great.

Good work by the EasyESP team, KUDOS.

Backbone
Normal user

#4 Post by Backbone » 07 Oct 2015, 07:34

Hi, I am a new user and just like to know if the current behaviour is due to a flash memory shortage.
During upload I get the almost out of memory message.
I have several ESP01's with a unknown flash size but I guess it is 512Kb.
I loaded version ESP EASY 20 version and can connect and scroll through the top menus in the control page 192.168.4.1.
But when I try to save a setting 99% the of the time webpage returns to (can not find page) stage and connection is lost.
I have to reconnect again and sometimes it takes more then a minute the control page is there again.

Cheers, Paco

Martinus

#5 Post by Martinus » 07 Oct 2015, 13:22

What version ESP Package are u using in Arduino IDE?
Memory issues (RAM) do exist if you use another version than the one mentioned in our Wiki tutorial:

http://www.esp8266.nu/index.php/Tutoria ... are_Upload

Backbone
Normal user

#6 Post by Backbone » 07 Oct 2015, 21:35

Hello Martinus,

Me dombo.
i did not read the manual as it was made for :-(
As I already had a ESP8266 entrie I thought that would be sufficient.
I changed to the manual suggested URL for the ESP8266 and the upload was without the memory warning.
Then I uploaded again the EASY ESP sketch.
Sofar so good.
Reboot the ESP but the laptop wifi will not see the ESP0 wifi name to get connected first.
Did several reboots and waited even 3 minutes but not to be found in the network.

Paco

Backbone
Normal user

#7 Post by Backbone » 07 Oct 2015, 22:47

One step further.
I my sketch I already added the SSID and Password.
So if I understand correct when the modul connects to the network by the skecth settings there is no need for the AP connecting to set up the first time.
Then I used an IP scanner and by switching off and on the modul I found out it uses 192.168.1.1 as IP address which was given by the router which is in DHCP mode. It would be nice if you can assign a fixed IP address in the skecth itself or did I overlooked that option?
So when I enter the 192.168.1.1 in my browser I now can rework the command setting screen and change settings and save them.

Paco

DeNB3rt
Normal user

#8 Post by DeNB3rt » 13 Jan 2016, 23:19

sureshmali wrote:I just finished uploading the latest firmware. It compiles fine and I am able to upload. The only problem I see now is, it does not stores the device configuration. If the ESP loses power or reboots, the devices configuration is lost and have to reconfigure.
This is what the memory status is.

Code: Select all

ESP Flash Size:	524288
Free Mem:	25456
I have DHT11 and DS18B20 configured to update the readings on Domoticz. It work absolutely great.

Good work by the EasyESP team, KUDOS.
Hi Sureshmali,
I'm having the same issues with build 48 on ESP01,

both my nodemcu and esp01 rebooted this night, esp01 forgot his settings, nodemcu not.
It was only collecting data from an DHDT11.

Anyone an idea how to prevent?
Located in Belgium, Bruges. Working on a full DIY domoticz setup with ESPEasy.