Power socket with display

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

azonneveld
New user

Power socket with display

#1 Post by azonneveld » 23 Nov 2023, 21:37

I am looking for a power socket like the image shows.

This power socket should be compatible with espeasy AND it should have enough space to DIY build in a SSD1306 Display.
Also the esp inside must be able to drive the display (micro soldering is okay).

The purpose of this project is to fit the socket in between the coffee-maker.

The display should be indicating the time elapsed between a high current detection (which happens when the water is heated, sustaining the coffee heat requires less power).
This way the office-collegues are able to see how old the coffee in the can is.

Who can point me to the right socket-device?

Ath
Normal user

Re: Power socket with display

#2 Post by Ath » 23 Nov 2023, 22:23

There are a few issues to be aware of:
- SAFETY WARNING: All electronics in these plugs is directly connected to mains power. This can be a safety hazard! When connecting extra electronics like a display, that will also be connected to mains power, so touching that can be LIFE-ENDANGERING! :!:
- Internal space: Most of the plugs that seem to have space for mounting extra stuff, don't really have that space freely available: Many have mechanical parts mounted there, like switches, LEDs or the relay.
- Power supply: The internal power supply of these plugs delivers usually barely enough power to start the WiFi (that's taking the highest currents), so adding extra devices can cause unstable behavior of the device. Alternative: Build an enclosure (electronic mounting boxes are available in many sizes) that contains an extra power supply for the display, if the device behaves erratically.

Tasmota has a support-site that lists many devices they support, and as ESPEasy includes support for many of these devices too, you can have a look at that list, f.e. the list of power plugs
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 23 Nov 2023, 22:38

And last-but-not-least...
Those of-the-shelve units often don't have GPIO pins freely accessible.
So connecting something to an I2C bus for your display or any other sensor is often quite hard to do as it is hard to wire up those pins.

azonneveld
New user

#4 Post by azonneveld » 24 Nov 2023, 07:35

Hmmm the safety-point is a very good one.

I'll reconsider, maybe just a usb powered box containing a display and a button is the better solution here.

Thanks for the support!

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 24 Nov 2023, 08:16

You can also use this one and make a second box with a display which can show the values of your plug.
ESPEasy can share data from one sensor/task on another unit and that one can just use the data as if the sensor was connected to that ESPEasy node.

See: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... #c013-page

chromo23
Normal user

#6 Post by chromo23 » 24 Nov 2023, 10:54

azonneveld wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 07:35 I'll reconsider, maybe just a usb powered box containing a display and a button is the better solution here.
Either that, which i myself find difficult to achieve in a decent size since there are no small ac measurement devices which you can buy as a module (as far as i know), or you could simply use a standard ESPEasy supported power plug (with ac-measurement of course) and use in an extra device in a case e.g. a wemos d1 mini (clone) with a display connected and powered by usb or a HKL-PM01.
With ESPEasy you can easily share plugins or or send the data with a http-request. You could send then the AC-data or already calculated data to the wemos...
(https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... e-a-plugin)

Edit: Advantage of that, since it is possible to flash those power plug devices when they have their standard firmware (tuya-convert to tasmota and then to espeasy) or running on tasmota without opening the device. With that and a USB powered ESP you would not getting in contact with AC at all...
Edit2: Advantage 2 would be that you can hide the power plug and only have a sleek device for displaying and interaction.. :)

iron
Normal user

#7 Post by iron » 24 Nov 2023, 15:12

You might want to go the other way around and install and ESP inside a wall plug power meter with display ?

https://gizmosnack.blogspot.com/2014/10 ... -hack.html
-D