reconnect Wifi to other AP

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

_Cyber_
Normal user

reconnect Wifi to other AP

#1 Post by _Cyber_ » 05 Jun 2023, 13:15

Hi,

is there a possibility to reconnect a ESP to the other configured wifi AP?

I have per floor an AP, if the ESP loses (by whatever reason) the connection to it's floor-AP anoter one is normally also reachable. The ESP then is stuck to this, irregardless the other one would be available in the meantime again.
Some ESPs have only signal of about -85 to -90 to the (alternative, but stuck) AP while a -70 dBi AP would be available ...

I can see them also on clicking "Scan" , but I can not persuate it to connect to it.
Also rebooting the ESP does not help - the "Use Last Connected AP from RTC" is NOT checked in Advanced settings, but still the second AP is contacted and connected instead of the first one.

using latest mega-20230508 on Wemos D1, ESP01, ESP32

Thanks. :-)

TD-er
Core team member

Re: reconnect Wifi to other AP

#2 Post by TD-er » 05 Jun 2023, 13:45

ESPEasy will sort the available access points based on RSSI.
When the connection is considered 'stable' (> N minutes connected), it will first try to reconnect to the last used AP when the connection gets lost.
So what you can do is give the command "wifidisconnect" a few times to see if it will actually connect to the other AP.

Please also check to see if that other AP allows clients to connect using 802.11g, as that's probably the first attempted mode at this moment. (at least another user reported something like that)
So it might be that even though the intended AP has a stronger RSSI, it might fail to connect to it as it would immediately disconnect the ESP and then it would continue to try connecting to the other AP with the configured SSID.

Another reason why ESPEasy might not want to connect to the strongest AP is when that AP immediately disconnects ESPEasy.
Things to check on that AP:
- Disable band steering
- Disable IGMP snooping

And in ESPEasy, on the tools->Advanced page you might want to test with these settings:
- Extra Wait WiFi Connect
- Enable SDK WiFi Auto Reconnect (try this one first)

See: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... fi-connect

_Cyber_
Normal user

Re: reconnect Wifi to other AP

#3 Post by _Cyber_ » 05 Jun 2023, 14:46

:lol: with "wifidisconnect" it works - I am always very cautious with commands and buttons which sound like disconnecting from network ...

thanks. :-)