Espeasy PIO VM Image? Espeasy Arduino portable Zip? Configurable Web Flasher?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

LuRhe
New user

Espeasy PIO VM Image? Espeasy Arduino portable Zip? Configurable Web Flasher?

#1 Post by LuRhe » 26 Mar 2023, 01:09

Hi all,
thanks for the great stuff with ESPEasy Mega!
Since years I'm a impressed and happy user with the precompiled bin's.

Now I'm at a point that I need a plugin from collection Energy (P132) AND a OLED plugin (P036) and some other stuff from "normal" - but the plugins are in different collections. Some other plugins I don't need - so Flash may be enough.

What's to do if not beeing a developer?
The installation of a working build enviremont seams to be very tricky if never worked with the tools.
It is possible to
- get a working Espeasy PIO VM Image? A Linux VM with all preconfigured PIO Software with download of actual sources?
- get a configured Espeasy Arduino Portable Zip? Maybe with folders where last sources to replace with actual sources?
- enhance TD'ers great Web Flasher to build a bin for a selected ESP with required selectable plugins (maybe with error messages if fails in cause of flash size)?
- find someone to establish a build service?

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Espeasy PIO VM Image? Espeasy Arduino portable Zip? Configurable Web Flasher?

#2 Post by TD-er » 26 Mar 2023, 10:06

There isn't such a build service (yet, Ton is working on it)
However, there are several options available to make it all a bit easier (hopefully) to build an image yourself.

For example:
- Use Vagrant to fire up a VM which will then automatically deploy and build based on a single file you configure
- Use the Chrome GitPod extension to fire up a browser based VS code environment on the GitHub servers

You can also list a set of plugins and controllers you like so we can make a build for you.

LuRhe
New user

Re: Espeasy PIO VM Image? Espeasy Arduino portable Zip? Configurable Web Flasher?

#3 Post by LuRhe » 26 Mar 2023, 10:46

TD-er, thanks for answer, your great contribution to the project and your help for us.
That Ton is working on, sounds good. May be it reduces also the growing number of neccessary bin's per release.
Maybe I will have a look at a Pio installation, now inside a VM (to keep my working system clean and for reproducable results) in relation with your hints. I've tried a PIO installation (may be 2 years before) but it was'nt successful.
At first I will test the interesting plugins in their collection. If all works and if its absolutely neccessary for me to have one in another collection, I want to call again for help: you and others have a PayPal Link so it's possible to retaliate for help with a customized build :-)
Have a nice Day,
Lutz

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 26 Mar 2023, 11:09

If you're familiar with (Ubuntu) Linux, you can also start a WSL or some other VM (or actual machine) and have a look at the build script in the tools folder in the ESPEasy repo.
In the comments, there is a list of requirements to be installed first and then you can use some arguments to build either from a 'tag' (whenever I create an official build, it also gets tagged), or even a pull request (-p option)

Now that I think of it, it would make sense to also add an option to this build script to only build "custom" builds.
Then you can add a Custom.h file, or edit the .py files in tools/pio to define your custom build.

Since right now you can't just build only the 'custom' bins, you will build quite a lot more than needed.
, but at least you can have some builds of your own and look into the build script to see what it is doing :)