Newbie here!! Can't compile ESP Easy (mega-20221224) with Arduino IDE

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

J74656
New user

Newbie here!! Can't compile ESP Easy (mega-20221224) with Arduino IDE

#1 Post by J74656 » 30 Dec 2022, 16:28

hi folks

ok I am a complete newbie to ESP Easy and relatively new to ESP programming in general but have successfully made some small IoT projects using Arduino IDE and several ESP8266 NodeMCU boards.

I came across ESP Easy which looked cool and did a web install to flash one ESP8266 NodeMCU boards (4MB memory) which worked fine with a normal build however one of my sensors - a Pimoroni Bosch BME680 was not listed in the web interface - only a BME280? I had seen references on the web that some people have got this sensor to work using their custom build so I was intrigued to see what was involved in buidling a custom version of ESP Easy using Arduino IDE.

Having had experience with programming within Arduino IDE I followed this link and followed the instructions:

https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... noIDE.html

Note: I had issues finding the folders as suggested when trying to use the portable version of Arduino and there was no library folder with the downloaded portable ZIP version of Arduino IDE so instead I went back to my proper installed version of Arduino IDE which I have used before and then extracted the contents of the \libraries folder from the latest source version of ESP Easy (mega-20221224) at this location instead:

C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries

This appears to be the default libraries folder for Arduino as other libraries are located here.

ok so I then extracted the contents of \src from the source version of mega-20221224 into a new project in Arduino IDE here:

C:\Users\nathan\Documents\Arduino\ESPEasy

I then completed the instructions as found on the guide above to enable a Custom build (i.e. following the instructions under 'Building using Custom.h' by uncommenting //#define USE_CUSTOM_H. I then uncommented plug-ins for the BME680 sensor and MQTT for Home Assistant.

Now when I try to compile the project and then upload to my ESP device I am getting back these error messages:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\nathan\Documents\Arduino\ESPEasy\src\CustomBuild\CompiletimeDefines.cpp: In function 'uint16_t get_build_nr()':
C:\Users\nathan\Documents\Arduino\ESPEasy\src\CustomBuild\CompiletimeDefines.cpp:31:58: note: '#pragma message: Build is not based on current date'
   31 |   #pragma message ( "Build is not based on current date" )
      |                                                          ^
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:46:16: error: expected initializer before 'espeasy_sws_isr_0'
   46 | void IRAM_ATTR espeasy_sws_isr_0() { ObjList[0]->rxRead(); };
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:47:16: error: expected initializer before 'espeasy_sws_isr_1'
   47 | void IRAM_ATTR espeasy_sws_isr_1() { ObjList[1]->rxRead(); };
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:48:16: error: expected initializer before 'espeasy_sws_isr_2'
   48 | void IRAM_ATTR espeasy_sws_isr_2() { ObjList[2]->rxRead(); };
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:60:3: error: 'espeasy_sws_isr_0' was not declared in this scope
   60 |   espeasy_sws_isr_0,
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:61:3: error: 'espeasy_sws_isr_1' was not declared in this scope
   61 |   espeasy_sws_isr_1,
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:62:3: error: 'espeasy_sws_isr_2' was not declared in this scope
   62 |   espeasy_sws_isr_2 /*,
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\nathan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2\libraries\ESPEasySerial\ESPEasySoftwareSerial.cpp:248:16: error: expected initializer before 'ESPeasySoftwareSerial'
  248 | void IRAM_ATTR ESPeasySoftwareSerial::rxRead() {
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

Any tips and suggestions on where I am going wrong please? Try and be gentle if you can :D

Many Thanks!!

Ath
Normal user

Re: Newbie here!! Can't compile ESP Easy (mega-20221224) with Arduino IDE

#2 Post by Ath » 30 Dec 2022, 16:54

J74656 wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 16:28 hi folks

ok I am a complete newbie to ESP Easy and relatively new to ESP programming in general but have successfully made some small IoT projects using Arduino IDE and several ESP8266 NodeMCU boards.

I came across ESP Easy which looked cool and did a web install to flash one ESP8266 NodeMCU boards (4MB memory) which worked fine with a normal build however one of my sensors - a Pimoroni Bosch BME680 was not listed in the web interface - only a BME280? I had seen references on the web that some people have got this sensor to work using their custom build so I was intrigued to see what was involved in buidling a custom version of ESP Easy using Arduino IDE.

Having had experience with programming within Arduino IDE I followed this link and followed the instructions:

https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... noIDE.html
Close but no cigar :)

Main development on ESPEasy is done using VSCode with PlatformIO, Arduino IDE is not the preferred way to continue.
As you're not very experienced in Arduino IDE either, I'd suggest to start using the PlatformIO development, as documented here: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... ormIO.html that also has an elaborate section called the Developer Guide.

But on the main subject: BME680, that is included in the Collection B and Climate builds, also available from the Web flasher, so no need to build your own, custom, build for that. It can be flashed on top of your existing install, as the file-system partitioning is the same as the one you installed, so all settings will stay intact.
/Ton (PayPal.me)