Sonoff Origin (THR320) does not show up in WiFi list after succesful flash.

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

CoolRemote
Normal user

Sonoff Origin (THR320) does not show up in WiFi list after succesful flash.

#1 Post by CoolRemote » 03 Dec 2022, 20:09

Recently I bought two Sonoff Origin's, (THR320). I decided to flash ESP Easy on the device. The flash went succesfully, however the device is not showing up after rebooting from flash mode. It does not appear in the list with WiFi networks. Because of this it is impossible to edit settings on the device. Tasmota can be flashed on the device without any problem and also it does show up in the list. Now I wonder what went wrong.

Ath
Normal user

Re: Sonoff Origin (THR320) does not show up in WiFi list after succesful flash.

#2 Post by Ath » 03 Dec 2022, 20:25

Have you read this thread that has nearly the same subject (and a lot of useful info)?
/Ton (PayPal.me)

CoolRemote
Normal user

#3 Post by CoolRemote » 03 Dec 2022, 22:10

I've been reading as much as possible about it, but I didn't read the thread you mentioned. Thank you for your input. At the moment of writing this post I went through the thread you pointed out to me and hope that will bring some new perspective. :D

CoolRemote
Normal user

#4 Post by CoolRemote » 05 Dec 2022, 14:30

Basical it seems to point out that the bootloader is missing, and that it works with a bin version that contains a bootloader. Makes me wonder where I can download a factory version? I made a new account on Github, but did not manage yet to find the correct bin file.
I must say I love Espeasy so far, but it can be a struggle to find the correct file. Maybe to have all of this on one and the same platform makes it all a bit easier and will do good to the name "Espeasy". :D

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 05 Dec 2022, 15:06

For every ESP32 build there is also a factory.bin file available, when flashing via serial (using the Espressif flash download tool, ESP32 won't work with the ESP Easy flasher), that should be at address 0 as the single file to be flashed. See this guide
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 05 Dec 2022, 15:07

In the zip files with all the bin files, there are different bins for ESP32 units.
The ones with "factory" in the name, are intended to be flashed via serial. (starting at address 0)
The ones without it, are meant to be flashed via the web interface.

See also the documentation page about using the Espressif Download Tool: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... html#esp32

CoolRemote
Normal user

#7 Post by CoolRemote » 05 Dec 2022, 22:55

Thank you for the help! Very much appreciated! Soon I hope to move on with this and happy to share the result.

CoolRemote
Normal user

#8 Post by CoolRemote » 14 Dec 2022, 12:17

Thanks to the excellent help here I managed to flash the Sonoff THR320 with the advised bin. file, for ESP32.

The sensor added does not work yet, maybe because this bin. file was for the ESP32, not the ESP8266.

It took a few times to make the flash work. The struggle is not exactly when to press the button, but it needs to be pressed firmly in order to make it work. So for "Sonoff colleagues" this might be helpful info when you work with this device (in this case the THR320).

Having said this, now I wanted to move on and flash the "normal" espeasy. For this I wanted to use the OTA flash, but that resulted in failure that the software can't be activated. (?) Maybe because I did not press the button for this OTA flash? Can a "traditional" flash be the solution for this, or will that delete the previous uploaded ESP32 bin. file? So far I never pressed the button in order to make the OTA flash work, but maybe that must be done too?

Ath
Normal user

#9 Post by Ath » 14 Dec 2022, 12:36

An ESP32 device needs an ESP32 binary file to be flashed, update via OTA without .factory in the filename, when updating via a flasher tool, with .factory in the filename (and at address 0).
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#10 Post by TD-er » 14 Dec 2022, 14:01

Just to be complete, it is also explained in the docs: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... html#esp32

N.B. there are various builds for ESP32.
Make sure to use the correct one:
- same flash size (e.g. 4M316k for 4M flash units)
- ESP32 and ESP32S2 are completely different CPUs.

And what Ton said, "factory" only via serial flash, the one without "factory" in the name via the web interface.

TD-er
Core team member

#11 Post by TD-er » 10 Jan 2023, 09:02

OK, I've spent the last 3 days making a plugin for the display on these Sonoff units.
Can you please test this PR: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/pull/4452

Here the (finally finished) GH Actions build: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEas ... 3878720902