ky-024 hallsensor is too weak

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

edstobi
Normal user

ky-024 hallsensor is too weak

#1 Post by edstobi » 26 Nov 2022, 14:07

Hello
I am using a ky-024 hallsensor.
But the magnet in the gas meter is too weak to trigger the sensor (the distance too far, about 1.5 cm)
I have desoldered the sensor and added a cable to try all possible orientations with respect to the magnet. It is set to the most sensitive level. The sensor works with a normal magnet.
I also tried a high sensitivity reed contact with 10-20 AT , this only works about.90% as it also misses some pulses.
However, with the IPhone I can see the magnetic field (the change when magnet is passing and iPhone is hold to the meter).

Does anyone know a more sensitive magnetic field sensor to work on a ESP?

TD-er
Core team member

Re: ky-024 hallsensor is too weak

#2 Post by TD-er » 26 Nov 2022, 14:36

A basic Hall effect sensor is an analog sensor.
However, allmost all Hall effect boards out there either use one which is "made digital" internally, or has some circuit to trigger some level and then either put out a logic "1" or "0".

So what you need is a truly analog one, or one which has some kind of potentiometer on it to set the trigger level.
I just looked for the "KY-024" and it seems to be an analog one.
Have you tried sampling the analog voltage coming out of the sensor?
Have you also experimented with rotating the sensor?

I do know that ferro materials (thus with iron) are also capable of "directing" magnetic fields.
However I don't know enough of it to know what kind of shape you need, how to orient it, etc.
When looking for "ferrite hall effect sensor" on Google images, you can see there are a lot of ferrite rings which can be positioned around a wire to measure current.
To measure currents, I know it is important to have some air gap.
But I don't know whether this is also important for your application.

edstobi
Normal user

#3 Post by edstobi » 26 Nov 2022, 16:07

Thanks for the answer
Yes I have also tried the analog output.
>Have you also experimented with rotating the sensor?
Yes, that's why I took the sensor off the board on a cable and tested all possible directions,because the sensor is unipolar, which means it only reacts in one magnetic direction.
I will now try the SS49E, once supplied by Amazone next week. This has a sensitivity of 1.8 mv/Gauss at 25 degrees.
Unfortunately I can't make any changes to the gas meter, otherwise I would have drilled a hole in the plexyglass cover and run the sensor directly to the magnet. Curiously, the gas supplier has problems with it :(

Jedrunia
Normal user

#4 Post by Jedrunia » 27 Nov 2022, 19:43

Hi

Try electronic compas on hmc5883l chip like GY-273 board.