Secondary DNS server and local (LAN) pool NTP

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

mackowiakp
Normal user

Secondary DNS server and local (LAN) pool NTP

#1 Post by mackowiakp » 08 Sep 2022, 16:15

I can not enter in config menu, IP address of secondary DNS server. I use many ESP`s with various FW release.
So what is the proper syntax of DNS field in config menu to enter both primary and secondary DNS?

The second question is not stricte ESP related.
In ESP menu it is possible to enter only one IP/name of NTP server.
Of course it is possible to enter pool like pool.ntp.org.
But is it possible to configure in own LAN such NTP pool using home-avaliable devices?
For example I have three satellite TV receivers. All are based on Linux so it is easy to add NTP server functionality to each one.
The advantage of using SAT receivers is that time could be sync with time provided by satellite.

Maybe somebody will find these questions strange, but I live in a forest. And during the last storm, as a result of a lightning strike, I lost Internet connectivity for 2 days (5G connection and damaged BTS), a 12-hour power outage and a damaged NAS which was the DNS and NTP server.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Secondary DNS server and local (LAN) pool NTP

#2 Post by TD-er » 08 Sep 2022, 16:18

Sure, I see no reason why you couldn't set the IP of your router, SAT receiver or whatever Linux/Unix/Windows box which runs a NTP service on the default UDP port.

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 08 Sep 2022, 16:25

Ah forgot to reply to the main question...
Right now you cannot set a secondary DNS in the static settings.
However, if you're running Linux server(s), you could setup a DHCP server and offer 2 DNS servers in there.
You can then also fix the IP address to some MAC address so you'll always have the same IP for each.
And you can also offer a local DNS server to ease addressing your local nodes.

mackowiakp
Normal user

#4 Post by mackowiakp » 08 Sep 2022, 16:48

TD-er wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 16:18 Sure, I see no reason why you couldn't set the IP of your router, SAT receiver or whatever Linux/Unix/Windows box which runs a NTP service on the default UDP port.
Yes, of course. But I want to configure "pool" NTP.
For example the name "pool.ntp.org" is not one particular server. It is set of servers and query DNS system it returns IP of the first available at particular moment.
In most cases such "pool" works as "round Robin" on such set of servers. So each query DNS returns IP of next available server.
I want to do it in the same way in home LAN.
According to main question - ok. At this moment is not possible to set secondary DNS server in static IP config.

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 08 Sep 2022, 16:53

mackowiakp wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 16:48 In most cases such "pool" works as "round Robin" on such set of servers. So each query DNS returns IP of next available server.
That pooling part is not implemented in ESPEasy, so you should handle that in your local pool.ntp.local server ;)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 08 Sep 2022, 16:58

Not sure how well this may work, but you could try to run mDNS on serveral machines in your local network and configure all to send out a reply when queried for "ntp.local" or something ending on .local.

This way only the ones actually reachable may reply and I guess that's exactly what you need here.

The reason why this may not work is when such services have a protection where they will not reply if they found out there are duplicate replies for the same local hostname it thinks it has to serve.

mackowiakp
Normal user

#7 Post by mackowiakp » 09 Sep 2022, 00:56

OK, thanks for the advice. I moved the topic to another forum because it is not a topic about ESP Easy itself.