ESP32 Differences / Buying Recommendation?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Oetsch
Normal user

ESP32 Differences / Buying Recommendation?

#1 Post by Oetsch » 31 Dec 2021, 12:32

Hi
seems that I will buy my first ESP32 soon, because I like to test some BLE features but also use it for universal purpose together with ESPEasy.

Based on my experience with the D1 Mini there are easy and more complicated products available because of bad component usage or simply usage of cheap product copies (voltage regluator).

So I do not really like to make that learning curve with my first ESP32 and ask what you can recommend for easy and stable usage. I like the ESP32 Mini series very much (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050016 ... mainSearch) but this is available with CP9102 or CP2104 but I can also find standard ESP32 developer boards with CH340. So seems that there many different types sold/produced. Can you recommend or say annything if there are also such bad products to better avoid like for the ESP8266?

Thank you very much!

TD-er
Core team member

Re: ESP32 Differences / Buying Recommendation?

#2 Post by TD-er » 01 Jan 2022, 03:07

Two very basic rule of thumbs on boards like these:
- Buy modules with a metal cap over the ESP, like the one in your link. Preferably one with "Espressif" on it.
- Try to buy modules with a beefy voltage regulator, like the AMS1117. (not the one in your link) Or at least clearly visible capacitors (often yellow)

And another hint; The ones with the CP210x chip (small square one) are probably better as that chip is more expensive than the CH340.

The voltage regulator is always a bit tricky, as those really small ones as shown in the link you posted typically cannot handle over 150 - 250 mA.
Short power surges (as typical for making WiFi connection) can be handled via some capacitors. But the really cheap boards have both; small voltage regulator and under dimensioned capacitors.

You could try the one you linked, but I am a bit worried about the voltage regulator stuff, as it may not remain stable when you connect some sensors to it.
So for sure don't buy a lot of them to test.
Be prepared to add some external voltage regulator for the other components if you plan on adding some sensors or displays.

Oetsch
Normal user

Re: ESP32 Differences / Buying Recommendation?

#3 Post by Oetsch » 02 Jan 2022, 10:09

Thank you very much.

So the voltage regulator topic is still alive also for the ESP32. Then I can make a try to find good sources or at first sources which clearly show what is really delivered. Trading shops sometimes provide incomplete information or just reuse pictures etc. But based on your info I can try and also adjust the usage in accordance. An ESP32 without sensors might work in case i´ll make a bad buy. So will start my shopping tour. Big thx!