Sending SMS without internet connection

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

orbitcoms
Normal user

Sending SMS without internet connection

#1 Post by orbitcoms » 01 Apr 2017, 09:49

Hi,
I am looking at using ESPEasy and Domoticz to form a local temperature network.

There will not be internet access available but I want to be able to send SMS alert messages in case of temperature alarm.

My Domoticz will be hosted on a Raspberry pi. I can place a USB 3G dongle into the pi or could have something like a Particle Electron (3G) that can send alerts.

Is there a method to have either a script on the pi that gets trigger that will send a message using AT command or maybe a command that could be sent to the Electron to trigger it to send SMS?

Or (a bit less efficient) ESP connected to Electron via serial port that acts as SMS gateway in response to commands sent from Domoticz.

Or maybe some other method?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dave

costo
Normal user

Re: Sending SMS without internet connection

#2 Post by costo » 05 Apr 2017, 16:46

It is not really a ESPEasy thing but more a domoticz thing, does not matter so much ;)

What you want can be done in Domoticz with the notification option.
In domoticz-setup there is a tab Notifications. There is the Clickatell SMS option. I guess you can configure it to your needs. Look here for help: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/index.php ... arch&go=Go

I cannot help you as I do not use Clickatell for notifications, I use telegram with a custom http action, but that needs an active internet connection.

Edit: after rethinking, Clickatell will not solve your problem as it needs an internet connection to the Clickatell server before it can send a SMS to your phone. So you really need a way to send AT commands either send by ESPEasy or by the Raspberry Pi. The last is probably the easyest.

orbitcoms
Normal user

Re: Sending SMS without internet connection

#3 Post by orbitcoms » 05 Apr 2017, 22:10

I managed to find a solution using an Android tablet as a gateway for SMS using CirusSMS.

Clicktell is internet based, it would not work for my system without internet.