Use HostName option Not working

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

srihari154
New user

Use HostName option Not working

#1 Post by srihari154 » 12 Nov 2016, 19:06

Hi People,

I have my MQTT server running on my RaspberryPi.

I am able to connect to MQTT from ESP, when I use the option Locate Controller : Use IP Address in the config window and provide the IP address of the MQTT Server(raspberry), ESP is also able to subscribe to the messages sent to topics on MQTT and react to it.

However, when i use the option Locate Controller : Use Hostname and provide the hostname value as "raspberrypi", esp refuses to connect to the MQTT server. I have checked in Raspberry PI system and can see that the hostname i have provided is correct in esp.

Can anyone suggest what am i doing wrong here?

Regards
Srihari

Drum
Normal user

Re: Use HostName option Not working

#2 Post by Drum » 13 Nov 2016, 09:05

No idea, but I just checked Fing on my tablet and it says the host name for my raspberry pi is "raspberrypi.station". Maybe try a network scanner like Fing (Android) to see what it says.

I can confirm "raspberrypi.station" works for me, but I only tested it on R121, which us on the only unit I currently have running which is not in deep sleep.

srihari154
New user

#3 Post by srihari154 » 13 Nov 2016, 19:22

Thanks for the Suggestion Drum.

I checked like you suggested on Fing and can see that the host name is raspberrypi itself. Not sure whats going wrong.

Are you suggesting that an upgrade to R121 might help? I currently use R120.

Regards
Srihari

Martinus

#4 Post by Martinus » 13 Nov 2016, 21:18

srihari154 wrote:Thanks for the Suggestion Drum.

I checked like you suggested on Fing and can see that the host name is raspberrypi itself. Not sure whats going wrong.

Are you suggesting that an upgrade to R121 might help? I currently use R120.

Regards
Srihari
Setting a hostname makes ESP Easy use DNS to revolve the IP address. DNS entries typically look like "www.domain.com" (FQDN style).
Internal LAN device hostnames are likely not registered with your local DNS router.

srihari154
New user

#5 Post by srihari154 » 14 Nov 2016, 09:54

Thanks Martinus,

That explains the behavior.

Regards
Srihari