ZPHS01B - Multisensor

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Ton_vN
Normal user

ZPHS01B - Multisensor

#1 Post by Ton_vN » 26 Feb 2024, 18:47

The ZPHS01B Multisensor-package is a comprehensible combination of sensors for dust & gas.
It's combined data interface to outside world is UART, which means that for link to LAN a 'bridge' is needed.
Would an ESP8266&ESPEasy be a suitable partner?

Personally (also considering configuration already present) would opt for a package with gas-sensors only, like the ZEHS04-set from same manufacturer. with the more affordable variant ZCE04B.

Ath
Normal user

Re: ZPHS01B - Multisensor

#2 Post by Ath » 26 Feb 2024, 20:10

At least the MH-Z19 sensor is already supported by ESPEasy, the other sensors are quite similar to other sensors that are supported already, so not sure if we should add yet another set of gasses sensors :?

They don't list prices on that site, and I don't care enough to leave my info to get them, to me that usually means they're (too) expensive :shock:

IMHO, you shouldn't use an ESP8266 for that (or whatever new ESP project) though, any ESP32 is usually a better choice as it has much more free memory, so can handle more tasks and controllers much more stable, especially under load. And ESP32 boards are available in many shapes and sizes. Getting the 16MB Flash variants also allows to load an ESPEasy MAX build, that includes all plugins and features :D
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Ton_vN
Normal user

#3 Post by Ton_vN » 26 Feb 2024, 20:47

Ath
Normal user

#4 Post by Ath » 26 Feb 2024, 22:07

Are you planning on ordering such sensor combo, or waiting for ESPEasy to add support first?
As said, the price is exceeding my budget, and IMHO, having separately connected (and replaceable) sensors sounds much more appealing to me than this all-in-one, where it is hard to replace a single (broken) sensor. :?
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Ton_vN
Normal user

#5 Post by Ton_vN » 27 Feb 2024, 07:24

If I was really interested, then would try myself:
obviously would be happy with any assistance from the community.

My opinion expressed in the previous message is more or less rhetoric, and just for information of the community, because
- the expensive setup ZEHS04 is most suitable to measure the environment with it's configuration for O3, NO2, SO2 and CO,
but the price in their webshop is excessive.
- the less expensive setup ZCE04B has sensors CO, H2S, O2 and CH4 which in coverage not compatible with measurements by RIVM etc.
Therefore these 2 sets technically perhaps of some interest, but none seem suitable for a sound approach for CitizenScience at this moment ........

The other combined sets from this manufacturer all have a PM-component, which in my configuration just would be a mulitplication.
Therefore agree with your opinion:
at this moment it is better suiatable to purchase the desired components as single elements and make 'own' combination.
Last edited by Ton_vN on 27 Feb 2024, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 27 Feb 2024, 09:25

Also you really need to know how those sensors perform their measurement, what affects their measurement and how to interpret their data.

Just as an example, some sensors like those VOC sensors do show extreme high values of some other gas if you put a glass of whiskey next to them and what they report isn't alcohol.
And NDIR CO2 sensors act completely different when exposed to some IR light source (e.g. sunlight or when placed above a radiator).

Some gasses are heavier than others, which makes the measurement height important to get good readings.

So I doubt just adding some sensors together on a single board is a good idea.
For some use cases it can be a good approach, like when some sensors have overlap in response, you can try to correlate their measurements to isolate some specific gas readings. Then you need to have them close together.
But this requires quite a lot of very specific knowledge to interpret the data.

Like I always say: "Meten is weten als je weet wat je meet" :)

Ton_vN
Normal user

#7 Post by Ton_vN » 27 Feb 2024, 11:19

@TDer,

:D Your bottomline is a meaningful adagium for technicians.

Another (perhaps ;) also phylosophical, and even blblical) view on the matter, which is reason for existence for this type of forums:
learn by looking at practical examples, 'Test and keep the good things',
both telling 'effective-approach-under-conditions' and 'not-to-be-repeated'.
And that is my present attitude for gas-sensors.
Made some (simple) outdoor setups with GP2Y10, SDS011 and SPS030 for dust, and with MiCS6814 for gas,
and learned a few things to be considered for next steps.
Some rather critical, such as the sensitivity of the offered sensors to temperature & humidity,
in combination that the air flow should be common & well-controlled over/through all sensors of the setup:
if no pragmatic, effective solution, it is a flaw inhibiting useful operation, because you simply don't know what you measure .........
Reason for my present reluctance/hesitation to take a next step for measurement of gases.

kvfasal
New user

#8 Post by kvfasal » 23 Mar 2024, 04:23

Hello,
I recently purchased ZBHS01B Multi sensor from AliExpress
But I can set up the sensor to a working order, I found videos in YouTube how to set up in pc but there is no supporting information in the comment box, (I'm not a tech person)
can anyone guide me to connect it to pc or a 3rd party display
Thank you in advance 🙂