Air Quality unit - which devices are best?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

localhorst
Normal user

Re: Air Quality unit - which devices are best?

#51 Post by localhorst » 27 Feb 2024, 12:38

chromo23 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:26 No need for a manual in creating graphics (i grew up with photoshop). At least not for me. I am more interested in the process how to get everything in rules aligned.
But no rush... finish you project first..
I'll write it down anyways - maybe it is from interest for other people to create their own graphical dashboard. And it's all with free tools.
chromo23 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:26What program do you use for creating the 3d models?
From work side I'm a Catia V5 user for more than 20 years. But private I have to use FreeCAD - and those models are created in it. It's great basically, but gave me some headaches on the way to the finished design. Very sensitive if you want to change something early in the component / feature tree. And the models are starting to get "heavy" pretty soon - if you use bigger patterns, etc. But I get used to it and am still surprised how powerful it is for a free, open source solution.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-27 um 12.35.40.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-27 um 12.35.40.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 447 times
(German) documentation of making a decentralized ventilation system with heat recovery smart, based on CO2 sensors with ESP Easy: https://luft.breest.eu

TD-er
Core team member

#52 Post by TD-er » 27 Feb 2024, 13:20

You can buy pinheaders with 2 mm spacing.
But wiring them to loose wires is a very good receipt for hard to find issues due to loose solderings.

I think it is by far the easiest way to design a PCB for it with the footprint of the sensors you need and then order them via JLCPCB or one of the other PCB manufacturers.
They can also mount some components if you need them. For example those headers needed for the Plantower PMSx003 are very useful to have soldered to the PCB.
If you need those, I can look for the exact part nr you need and some example schematic.

localhorst
Normal user

#53 Post by localhorst » 27 Feb 2024, 22:58

TD-er wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 13:20 You can buy pinheaders with 2 mm spacing.
But wiring them to loose wires is a very good receipt for hard to find issues due to loose solderings.
Sounds like well experienced to me. :lol:
But at least for the testing phase, I guess I have to go this way, thank you!
TD-er wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 13:20I think it is by far the easiest way to design a PCB for it with the footprint of the sensors you need
PCB sounds like a sexy solution. :)
But how do I have to imagine it for this specific setup? The PCB would sit on the ESP, correct? But the sensors - SEN55 and S8 - need to sit on the wall of the housing, in different positions. And well apart. Would there be some standard connectors for the cables on the PCB?
localhorst wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 10:56 I'd like to see the SEN5X running (especially hear it running with its fan) - if something needs to be changed because it's resonating with the housing. Maybe I'll already connect power to the SEN55 and hope that the fan will already run.
No success, the fan doesn't start, when only power is given to the sensor.
(German) documentation of making a decentralized ventilation system with heat recovery smart, based on CO2 sensors with ESP Easy: https://luft.breest.eu

localhorst
Normal user

#54 Post by localhorst » 28 Feb 2024, 14:14

chromo23 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 10:45 Could you provide me with an project description. Maybe even as an extra topic. I think this could be also interesting for other people.
I am especially interested in how you did the graphics with espeasy. :)
Here we go: WT32-SC01 ESPEasy Dashboard 320x480px
TD-er wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 12:13 I'll be interested in the 3D designs too (I do have 3 3D printers here, so no need to ship any prints to me)
And here are the 3D models: WT32-SC01 + SEN5X + SenseAir S8 Housing

MikaelaLinnea
New user

#55 Post by MikaelaLinnea » 19 Mar 2024, 15:02

Using a PCB (printed circuit board) does indeed sound like a sleek solution for your setup! Typically, the PCB would be integrated with the ESP, providing a compact and organized platform for your electronics. As for the sensors (SEN55 and S8) positioned on the wall of the housing, you can incorporate standard connectors on the PCB to easily connect the cables, allowing flexibility in placing the sensors in different positions. This modular approach facilitates installation and maintenance while ensuring efficient functionality.

bidrohini
Normal user

#56 Post by bidrohini » 29 Mar 2024, 13:58

MikaelaLinnea wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 15:02 Using a PCB (printed circuit board) does indeed sound like a sleek solution for your setup! Typically, the PCB would be integrated with the ESP, providing a compact and organized platform for your electronics. As for the sensors (SEN55 and S8) positioned on the wall of the housing, you can incorporate standard connectors on the PCB to easily connect the cables, allowing flexibility in placing the sensors in different positions. This modular approach facilitates installation and maintenance while ensuring efficient functionality.
Agreed. A PCB will make the project neat and more convenient. I think a typical single-layer 1.6-millimetre thick PCB will be good enough. It will provide a good balance between durability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness. Source: https://www.nextpcb.com/blog/what-is-st ... -thickness

localhorst
Normal user

#57 Post by localhorst » 29 Mar 2024, 14:58

Well, currently I guess it's more the question if this project can be considered as dead, before thinking about a PCB.