Larger displays that work with ESPEasy?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

MagTer
Normal user

Larger displays that work with ESPEasy?

#1 Post by MagTer » 13 Jul 2023, 13:44

I have just ordered a couple of LCD1602 displays just to test if I can get it to work. It could be that those displays are only readable from a close range?

Does anyone have any suggestion for something that works smoothly with ESPEasy that is readable from about 3 meters away?

I found a few LCD2004 options but the character size seems similar? Also TFT/OLED options seem quite small?
Also, regarding OLED and TFT options I am not sure if it is easy to manage them with ESPEasy since they go from characters x rows to some specific resolution where you probably need a more advanced controller.

Ath
Normal user

Re: Larger displays that work with ESPEasy?

#2 Post by Ath » 13 Jul 2023, 14:50

The OLED displays will be a problem to read from that distance, if only because of the small size of those displays (max 2.4" that I've seen), but for TFT (either P095 or P116) there are some up to 4.5" or 5" available, and as ESPEasy does support them with an internal library based on the Adafruit GFX lib, it has options to scale the font up to a factor 10, and in a custom build you can specify larger fonts, that can be scaled up also.
And the configuration for these TFTs allows to treat them like line/character displays, but you can have a predefined layout, using variables that get updated on a user-defined interval.

If you want to go bigger you could have a look at the Neopixel Matrix display plugin, that can be assembled/configured to quite large total sizes ;) (and also uses that internal Adafruit GFX based graphics driver)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

MagTer
Normal user

Re: Larger displays that work with ESPEasy?

#3 Post by MagTer » 13 Jul 2023, 14:57

Thanks. Now I have some more info to go on. I will try the LCD1602s first to see how readable they are from a distance.