TFT_eSPI support

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

jbarea
Normal user

TFT_eSPI support

#1 Post by jbarea » 22 Apr 2023, 06:13

Hi, I don't know if i am posting the following in the right section "Software" or it should be in the "Hardware" section. Anyway my question is: can https://github.com/Bodmer/TFT_eSPI be supported in EspEasy? I realized about its existence in viewtopic.php?p=62849&hilit=TFT_eSPI#p62849. As far as I know the TFT plugins for drivers ILI934x or ST77xx are based in a Adafruit library. Apparently TFT_eSPI is better than the Adafruit library in the refresh rate. Maybe it is worthy to take a look at the TFT_eSPI library to see if it is easy to replace the Adafruit library with this one.

Cheers!

Jose.

Ath
Normal user

Re: TFT_eSPI support

#2 Post by Ath » 22 Apr 2023, 10:27

The TFT_eSPI library relies on conditional compilation for using exactly 1 display model, totally inhibiting the plugin-model of ESPEasy, requiring a separate build for every display we would need to support.

Also, I'm not sure why the refresh-rate of the display could be important for the tiny sizes of most displays, though I have seen YT videos of amazingly fast display-updates, but IMHO, that's not the area where ESPEasy shines, as that requires highly optimized Arduino/C++ code, and not the great versatility offered by ESPEasy (plugin-architecture, scripting and events, 'background'-processing, timers, data-transfer to external systems, web-based configuration, etc.).

TL;DR; TFT_eSPI is great for single-purpose Arduino projects, not for ESPEasy ;)

NB, I have used TFT_eSPI code for 'inspiration' to add support for some of the more exotic displays :)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

jbarea
Normal user

Re: TFT_eSPI support

#3 Post by jbarea » 22 Apr 2023, 19:44

Thanks for your quick answer! I completely agree with you about EspEasy, it's a great project and actually it made me to initiate myself in the world of the IoT low cost devices. Now I am a fanatic of this area :D My observation about the refrest rate was not a complaint. On the contrary my suggestion was in the line of improving this firmware, of course, without knowing too much about the technical details. I have been testing the ILI9341 and ST7789 plugins and maybe I am doing something wrong, but when the values of some sensors are updated in the screen, this is not perceived as instant, rather one can see how the updating process goes from top to bottom in the screen. I just wondering if this effect can be avoided by speeding up the updating process, I mean, by increasing the refresh rate. I attach a video where this effect can be appreciated.
Attachments
VID_20230420_175708_Trim.zip
Video with the effect of low refresh rate in the TFT
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 52 times