Can device get disabled by software?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

BartSr
Normal user

Can device get disabled by software?

#1 Post by BartSr » 29 Mar 2023, 19:25

Hi,

Scenario : esp to count pulses of gasmeter. Esp-communicates using MQTT with Domoticz.
This worked fine until short ago.
I monitor the gas-usage (from scouting building) remote. Then one day I found that no new values came for gas-meter in Domoticz.
After investigation I found that the ESP-(counter)device was disabled.
As far as I can see (?) nobody did change this imporatant setting so I wonder if this can be done (e.g. by others) remotely.

Thanks for any suggestion.

-Bart

Ath
Normal user

Re: Can device get disabled by software?

#2 Post by Ath » 29 Mar 2023, 20:30

Devices (tasks) can get disabled if the unit is rebooted often in a row (10+ times), as that's a safety measure for malfunctioning sensors.

The ESP unit should not be directly accessible from the internet, as in that case it is quite easy to modify the settings. There should at least be some VPN-like access to the remote network.
If the MQTT server can be sent topics with payload from anywhere, and you are using a MQTT Controller that supports the /cmd topic, like Home Assistant or Homie, then also commands to disable tasks can be sent to the unit.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

BartSr
Normal user

#3 Post by BartSr » 29 Mar 2023, 20:56

Ath, the esp is monitored via VPN so no worries about that. Never knew a task might be disabled due to a number of boots as this might happen indeed sometimes.
Let me explain.
For a reason I don't understand the ESP got offline very often. A reboot was every time the only solution.
As an intermediate solution I wrote a dzVents script in Domoticz which pings the ESP. After two unsuccesfull pings a wifi relais in powerline of ESP was switched of for some seconds forcing the ESP to reboot. But as I understand now this is not always accepted by the ESP.
The real solution of course is to prevent freezing the ESP. Might be a bad ESP? So 1st step to do is swap ESP. There is an AP nearby so wifi should be OK. In same small (technical) room 3 more ESP's are running stable for months.
What are your thoughts? This ESP is having only one task. Counting pulses from gasmeter. The puls comes from the gasmeter itselves (hardwired contact) . 10 meter signal (telephone) cable between ESP and gasmeter.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Bart

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 29 Mar 2023, 21:25

What kind of ESP is it? (8266 or 32)
Which build? (there has recently been a bug where pulse count may cause issues)
How long is the cable to the pulse counting pin?

Longer cables can act as an antenna and pulse counting on ESP8266 is purely done in software.
So those interrupts can cause issues, especially during initialize of WiFi.

Long cables better can be twisted, like is done in network cable.
Also try using some resistors to make sure there is some current flowing through the cable to make it harder for noise to switch logic state on the GPIO pin.

BartSr
Normal user

#5 Post by BartSr » 29 Mar 2023, 23:07

Ath,
ESP 8266; the config file says : config_ESP_Gas_U23_Build20116_202311.dat
The counter worked fine for months. Out of the blue it started freezing now and then.
Wiring, as stated in a former post consist of 10 mtr normal telephone cable. Due to the fact that thisis not yet final installed whereas indeed networkcable is planned to use.

-Bart

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 30 Mar 2023, 08:37

Hmm sounds like your power supply may no longer be stable.
Maybe also change the power supply (for example when using some USB charger) and/or the USB cable.
I know USB cables don't really age, but perhaps it got jammed somewhere?

USB chargers however do age.
I had one included with my microscope and this one suddenly had issues starting the display and a few days later it let the display restart constantly.
Appeared the USB power supply unit was no longer stable.