Aurel chip & PIN via script

About receivers, transmitters, transceivers, connections, antennas etc.

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

ParkerLewis
New user

Aurel chip & PIN via script

#1 Post by ParkerLewis » 27 Jan 2022, 22:22

Hello,

I am a complete Arduino / RFLink beginner.

I have just received a RFLink 433.42 Mhz kit from nodo-shop (precisely this one : https://www.nodo-shop.nl/en/rflink-/195 ... cable.html).

For reference, here is the relevant documentation :
RFLink : https://nodo-shop.nl/nl/index.php?contr ... achment=21
Aurel RF chip : https://www.aurelwireless.com/wp-conten ... 33G_um.pdf
(The manual says 433.92 but I did order 433.42 ; the exact Aurel reference engraved on the chip is RTX-MIDL-5V).

1) Could you confirm I did assemble things correctly ? From what I gather, I just had to plug the green board (with the Aurel chip) onto the main Arduino board and screw the antenna. is there anything else ? This is what the end result looks like (clickable link for a larger image) :

2) There was no charger / power included. I did have one from another RFLink... Do I need it or not ?

3) Is there "anything else" to do before using the board ?

Now for what I'm trying to achieve. I need to use the RFLink as a receiver to get RF frames from an equipent of mine. The script I want to use is available here : https://github.com/ChristopheHD/frisque ... decode.ino

I have no issue launching the Arduino IDE, identifying the right COM port, compiling and sending the script to the Arduino. All this seems to work : adding a "Hello World" in the setup() of the script, and launching the serial monitor, I do see the "Hello world" message, so it seems like the Arduino runs the script.

The problem is that never see the RF frame I am looking for (while I should) (I never get anything).

From what I gather, at least one issue lies in the definition of the PINs in the script that is not correct / does not match my hardware. As written, the script defines and uses

Code: Select all

#define PIN_RF_TX_VCC               15                                          // +5 volt / Vcc power to the transmitter on this pin
#define PIN_RF_TX_DATA              14                                          // Data to the 433Mhz transmitter on this pin
#define PIN_RF_RX_VCC               16                                          // Power to the receiver on this pin
#define PIN_RF_RX_DATA              19                                          // On this input, the 433Mhz-RF signal is received. LOW when no signal.
But first I have my RLink manual that states

D14 DAT IN Transceiver
D15 TX / RX Transceiver
D19 DAT OUT Transceiver
[...]
D22 ENABLE Transceiver
and page 3 of the Aurel chip manual that leads me to think that to be able to receive, the following must be true :
Data IN (thus Aurel PIN 4, Arduino PIN 14) at 0
TX/RX (thus Aurel PIN 5, Arduino PIN 15) at 0
ENABLE (thus Aurel PIN 6, Arduino PIN 22) at 1

(and the digitalized received RF signal would then come out on Data OUT (Aurel PIN 9, Arduino PIN 19)).

Have I understood things well ?

Would it thus be enough, in the script, to replace the PIN definition section with

#define PIN_RF_TX_DATA_IN	14	// Data to the 433Mhz transmitter on this pin
#define PIN_RF_TX_RX		15 	// 0 = RX, 1 = TX
#define PIN_RF_RX_DATA_OUT	19	// RX output
#define PIN_RF_ENABLE		22	// 0=Power Down, 1=Active
And also a little bit further

pinMode(PIN_RF_RX_DATA_OUT, INPUT);			// Initialise in/output ports
  pinMode(PIN_RF_TX_DATA_IN, OUTPUT);			// Initialise in/output ports
  pinMode(PIN_RF_ENABLE, OUTPUT);			// Initialise in/output ports
  digitalWrite(PIN_RF_TX_DATA_IN,LOW);			// 0 ?
  digitalWrite(PIN_RF_TX_RX,LOW);			// 0 ?
  digitalWrite(PIN_RF_ENABLE,HIGH);			// 1 ?
  digitalWrite(PIN_RF_RX_DATA_OUT,INPUT_PULLUP);	// pull-up resister on (to prevent garbage)

?

Is there also a Vcc somewhere to do something with or is it good / already covered by the ENABLE ?

Is there anything else that needs to be done ?

I am wary of testing directly, because as a beginner a) I am so far out on a limb that I am certain I am missing things and b) I am thus afraid to potentially harm the chip.

Would you know how to help me ?

Thanks a lot