Power cut cause relay to get activated upon boot

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

grovkillen
Core team member

Power cut cause relay to get activated upon boot

#1 Post by grovkillen » 10 Apr 2017, 11:01

I have a simple relay that I really like since it is compatible with 3.3V logic levels (not only 5V). It works great but if I get a power outage / cut the ESP will not boot correctly since it will send a signal to the relay causing it to activate. This happens as soon as the ESP get power. I have tried to use the hardware tab to make the GPIO boot as low but it does not work. I have fixed it by having a switch that cuts the cable, and I then have to have this manually switched to off until the blue led comes to shine. Am I missing something obvious here?

The relay board that I use is found here.

Another thing to consider. If I put the GPIO 16 to have a boot state of HIGH (or was it low?) I will not be able to save settings to the flash memory. My only way of fixing this was to re-flash the unit to get it to be writable again. Should this be mentioned within the GUI?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

toffel969
Normal user

Re: Power cut cause relay to get activated upon boot

#2 Post by toffel969 » 22 Apr 2017, 19:09

grovkillen wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 11:01 I have a simple relay that I really like since it is compatible with 3.3V logic levels (not only 5V). It works great but if I get a power outage / cut the ESP will not boot correctly since it will send a signal to the relay causing it to activate. This happens as soon as the ESP get power. I have tried to use the hardware tab to make the GPIO boot as low but it does not work. I have fixed it by having a switch that cuts the cable, and I then have to have this manually switched to off until the blue led comes to shine. Am I missing something obvious here?

The relay board that I use is found here.

Another thing to consider. If I put the GPIO 16 to have a boot state of HIGH (or was it low?) I will not be able to save settings to the flash memory. My only way of fixing this was to re-flash the unit to get it to be writable again. Should this be mentioned within the GUI?
Maybe just use the pcf8574, it keeps states during reboot, I tried.
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

psy0rz
Normal user

#3 Post by psy0rz » 24 Apr 2017, 01:50

grovkillen wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 11:01
i'm not sure if this is documented properly. if you can still reproduce it, could you file a bug report on github? that way i will take a look at it later and perhaps fix it or disable that GPIO from the hardware settings or something. (or perhaps a link to the wiki in the web gui)
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

grovkillen
Core team member

#4 Post by grovkillen » 25 Apr 2017, 12:30

psy0rz wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 01:50 i'm not sure if this is documented properly. if you can still reproduce it, could you file a bug report on github? that way i will take a look at it later and perhaps fix it or disable that GPIO from the hardware settings or something. (or perhaps a link to the wiki in the web gui)
I will try to reproduce.

grovkillen
Core team member

#5 Post by grovkillen » 26 Apr 2017, 17:26

psy0rz wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 01:50 i'm not sure if this is documented properly. if you can still reproduce it, could you file a bug report on github? that way i will take a look at it later and perhaps fix it or disable that GPIO from the hardware settings or something. (or perhaps a link to the wiki in the web gui)
I cannot reproduce, please consider this related to the write limit for flash memory.