1-Wire Address Finder

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

grovkillen
Core team member

1-Wire Address Finder

#1 Post by grovkillen » 19 Apr 2017, 11:00

Would it be possible to create a 1-wire address finder using ESPeasy? I have a lab/breadboard setup to find my DS18b20 Dallas temperature sensors but I do have to login to the web gui in order to get the address. I would like to be able to build a box and insert the sensor (pin holes and/or 3.5mm adaptor) and press a button and then have the address (one or multiple) displayed on an OLED or LCD display. All the functionality is there but I cannot get the scan results as a variable to present on a display.

Am I aiming for too much or is this a possible thing to consider in future releases of ESPeasy? I.e. possible to scan and fetch i2c and 1-wire addresses --> populate variables with this information?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

lucaberta
Normal user

Re: 1-Wire Address Finder

#2 Post by lucaberta » 20 Apr 2017, 00:42

How often do you need to do this specific task, and for how many DS18B20 devices at once?

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the ESPEasy web GUI connected to any ESP8266 board running ESPEasy and then copy-paste the resulting DS18B20 address each time?

Should you be using and LCD or OLED display you might end up mistyping an address, something much harder to do if you copy-paste the address from the web GUI...

Bye, Luca

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: 1-Wire Address Finder

#3 Post by grovkillen » 20 Apr 2017, 06:07

Yeah this is exactly how I do it today. This task is more frequent now than it will be in the​ future when I have made my units but think of everybody that is doing this, a address finder made with ESPEasy would be able to send the results over MQTT - directly into a server and the configuration could be made more easily than the "by hand" approach.

The display is mainly to also have a semi-automatic way and of course it is the HID that tells the user that it found something and that is working.

Imagine the time 10 000 beginners spend to get the address, it is easy to understand that it adds up.

Not a "need to have" but since no other solution exists this possibility would give a nice buzz on hackaday etc. And future systems built around ESPEasy would be more self configured.

:)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea: