Firmware Build number vs. Date in .bin Filename – Why doesn’t build number increase?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Wookbert
Normal user

Firmware Build number vs. Date in .bin Filename – Why doesn’t build number increase?

#1 Post by Wookbert » 09 Aug 2021, 17:45

Can someone explain us the Firmware Build number (see image below)? Where does it originate? And why does it stagnate, whereas the date in the binary keeps (of course) increasing/proceeding?
Firmware Buildname.png
Firmware Buildname.png (137.93 KiB) Viewed 4359 times

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Firmware Build number vs. Date in .bin Filename – Why doesn’t build number increase?

#2 Post by TD-er » 09 Aug 2021, 17:55

This 20114 build nr is more like the internal file format revision.
I still need to change it to be more intuitive.

Wookbert
Normal user

Re: Firmware Build number vs. Date in .bin Filename – Why doesn’t build number increase?

#3 Post by Wookbert » 09 Aug 2021, 18:06

File format? Why both in parallel? Why not simply drop the Build number or replace it with the release date of the binary, which represents the Github release number/date?

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 09 Aug 2021, 20:49

It is a legacy thing.
The file revision is a 16-bit int and it is also sent to other nodes via the p2p layer.
I already have plans to make a conversion nr for it to display the build date based on it, but that's still something I need to do as it also involves some compile time generated number and I also need to make it very clear what version it is as this revision number is used for transitions on the file format.

It is also used in the p2p code to determine what format the other side may be able to decode. (not used a lot on the p2p layer)
So it is a bit more complex than I would like, but as I said, it is a legacy thing.