Sonoff TH10 Recovery Conundrum

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

gregoinc
Normal user

Sonoff TH10 Recovery Conundrum

#1 Post by gregoinc » 26 Jun 2021, 07:56

For several weeks now I have been attempting to recover a Sonoff TH10 that I haven't used for over a year. I am not sure what I loaded onto the Sonoff, I think it was ESP Easy or it could have been Tasmota?

When powering on the device either via 240 volts or via the serial adapter, no lights appear on the Sonoff TH10 and no matter what I do, the TH10 doesn't respond to any software... esptool.py, Tasmotizer, or esptool. The serial adapter was used previously to flash the Sonoff Th10 to whichever firmware I loaded onto it, so I know it worked at one stage. I even crossed the RX/TX wires, in case that was causing the issue. And also held down the button on the TH10 prior to supplying power via USB. So for some reason the serial appears to not be working?

I've tried the Tasmota recovery options here... https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Device-Recovery/ and various ESPEasy recovery processes but with no luck. But there was something interesting I found... when you hold down the button on the TH10 and apply USB power, and continue to hold the TH10 button, after 50 to 60 seconds a WiFi network appears... named Sonoff1_3 and appears to be encrypted because it requires a password/key to gain access.

Despite trying every password I could remember, I couldn't gain access to the WiFi... so... with the serial not working, and the recovery options not enabling serial access. I figure gaining access via WiFi might be the only way I am going to be able to reset the TH10. There is possibly something I am missing, which is why I am posting here... in the past I've found the people on this community to be really knowledgeable.

So perhaps there's someone that knows some thing I've missed or haven't tried?

mrwee
Normal user

Re: Sonoff TH10 Recovery Conundrum

#2 Post by mrwee » 26 Jun 2021, 11:48

Isn't it easier to just reflash?

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 26 Jun 2021, 23:18

You don't see anything on the serial port when the unit boots?
ESPEasy does show some texts at boot, till the WiFi makes a connection.
Only exception may be if the serial port is disabled and serial log disabled. But still it should show something.
If not, then I think it may have been running Tasmota.

gregoinc
Normal user

#4 Post by gregoinc » 27 Jun 2021, 12:46

Hello,

Thanks for the comments and advice. I managed to narrow it down to a faulty rx pin on the FTDI USB to serial converter. When moving the cables between the Sonoff TH10 and the FDTI board I noticed the TX/RX LED's flash, and when I wiggled the cables it seemed to flash more often. I tried re-soldering the original pins but no good. Luckily the FTDI card had additional TX/RX pin locations, so I soldered more pins at those locations and bingo it all worked. Flashed all ok, and is now working perfectly.

Thanks, Mark