Does it make sense to wait for a stable release?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

allonmorris
New user

Does it make sense to wait for a stable release?

#1 Post by allonmorris » 07 Jan 2022, 03:45

Hi,

does it make sense to wait for a stable release ?

At the moment i use a release from february 2020, and i am satisfied.

Ath
Normal user

Re: Does it make sense to wait for a stable release?

#2 Post by Ath » 07 Jan 2022, 07:55

As usual, the best answer is: It depends :lol:

Later releases incorporate new features, new plugins, new framework and library versions and general improvements. All of that should add to stability.
But, on the other hand, adding changes is known, in general, to add uncertainty (= risk) to any project.

ESPEasy has a mechanism to update from older to newer versions quite easily (and also allows to revert to older releases if needed), so if you want a newer release in the future, keeping the current status quo for as long as possible, that's just fine. Several users are still on much older releases (> 4 year old), happily running their units without issues.

For new units I'd advise to use the latest available 'nightly' release, especially when using newer CPU's like the ESP32 and ESP32s2, as only in recent releases (used by ESPEasy) of the Arduino framework have added much needed stability.
Also for newer units: Avoid using ESP's with only 1MB of flash memory (though sometimes you have no choice), as 2, 4 and 16MB units allows for easy firmware updates via the web-interface. (With some technical expertise it is possible to upgrade a 1MB unit to a 4MB unit by replacing the external flash chip.)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

jennyluce
New user

Re: Does it make sense to wait for a stable release?

#3 Post by jennyluce » 13 Jan 2022, 12:17

first of all, it doesn't make sense to wait for a stable release Until it really has some important feature or reduce time.

Thanks for the solution bro (Ath).