Pulsecounter Observations and questions

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

rmtucker
Normal user

Pulsecounter Observations and questions

#1 Post by rmtucker » 01 Nov 2015, 16:30

Having closely monitored my gas and electricity pulsecounters over the last 10 days i have observed the following:-
I am using R38 and it is absolutely rock solid,No missed pulses or re-boots.
The only time i have observed any problem lost pulses etc has been with the connection to domoticz.
This makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile storing the total pulses in Spiffs every five minutes and sending that rather than the incremental count?
At least if it had to be turned off for a short while to change batteries etc you would not lose the total count etc
I do not think that the spiffs lifecycle would be anything to worry about especially if we could keep moving the data around the spiffs memory area.
Some googling revealed that storing a small amount of data in spiffs and constantly moving the storage area around could give a lifecycle of 366 years.
I am sure on a 4mb version this would be even greater as 3mb is for spiffs.
There is no point in sending data to domoticz at less than 5min intervals as it would not record it anyway.
It would also mean that power and energy could be sent to a instant/Counter device in domoticz instead of sending to usage and an incremental counter.