How many Tasks

Moderators: Voyager, BertB, grovkillen, Stuntteam, LisaM

karl222
Normal user

How many Tasks

#1 Post by karl222 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:02

Hi guays,

I really llok forward to using upyeasy but haven‘t had a chance to try it yet.

Are there more than 12 tasks available in standard upyeasy, as this would make things more easy for me doing more complex projects... Especially when thinking of more powerfull hardware like the esp32.

I have challenged search function but haven‘t found any comment on that.

Regards
Karl

waspie
Normal user

Re: How many Tasks

#2 Post by waspie » 11 Jan 2018, 17:10

i don't have your answer, but i just came here to ask a somewhat similar question. if you don't mind, i'll piggyback on this a little and maybe the answer will satisfy both of us.

i used to have an esp8266 in each room, but i'm trying to consolidate things (fewer things plugged into the wall).

this requires more central ESPs with lots of tasks (see? bringing them together).

Another concern: when i send two events to an ESP (with openhab) only the first one gets processed. If i build a delay in with OH of a couple hundred ms then the second command gets processed.
Since the ESP32 has two cores, will it effectively be able to listen to and process more than one event at a time?

thanks, and sorry for barging in.

LisaM
Normal user

#3 Post by LisaM » 13 Jan 2018, 18:17

karl222 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 15:02 Hi guays,

I really llok forward to using upyeasy but haven‘t had a chance to try it yet.

Are there more than 12 tasks available in standard upyeasy, as this would make things more easy for me doing more complex projects... Especially when thinking of more powerfull hardware like the esp32.

I have challenged search function but haven‘t found any comment on that.

Regards
Karl
uPyEasy does NOT have a limit on the number of (device) tasks, you might however run into a memory problems if to many tasks are running (never tried that before). However in these cases, uPyEasy wil also support PsRam which means that 4MB of PsRam memory will be available. In principle this means an almost unlimited number of tasks...

I think i know where you're heading, since i'm moving into that direction also. In the (near) future you will have Super Nodes, these are uPyEasy platforms which can do pretty much everything in contrast with the more limited Nodes (SOC's like the ESP8266). The Super Nodes, part of a mesh network, will be Area Controllers. Lesser SOC's in the Area will delegate tasks to the Super Nodes, which are more equiped to do multiple tasks at the same time. Examples of these Super Nodes are Orange/Raspberry Pi's, ESP32's with PsRam or the more advanced STM32 SOC's. All will be running the same uPyEasy, where the lesser nodes have a stripped down version due to memory concerns.

LisaM
Normal user

#4 Post by LisaM » 13 Jan 2018, 18:44

waspie wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 17:10 i don't have your answer, but i just came here to ask a somewhat similar question. if you don't mind, i'll piggyback on this a little and maybe the answer will satisfy both of us.

i used to have an esp8266 in each room, but i'm trying to consolidate things (fewer things plugged into the wall).

this requires more central ESPs with lots of tasks (see? bringing them together).

Another concern: when i send two events to an ESP (with openhab) only the first one gets processed. If i build a delay in with OH of a couple hundred ms then the second command gets processed.
Since the ESP32 has two cores, will it effectively be able to listen to and process more than one event at a time?

thanks, and sorry for barging in.
You can't listen to more events at the same time, WiFi is your bottleneck here. The current problem with ESPEasy is that it is to slow (I've run into this when attaching more then 8 sensors to it, all of them sending/receiving data) and there aren't enough GPIO ports available (8 sensors x2 = 16 GPIO's meaning no ESP8266)

This can't be altered, it's a hardware limitation we're running into and the main reason for uPyEasy. With the advent of ESP32, Pi's and Pyboards, all of them quite powerful, it's time to move on to the next platform(s).
Listening to multiple channels for example is quite easy IF you have a pyboard, just use the ethernet interface and with a 100MB connection it's easy to open several sockets (channels) at the same time. Webserver/MQTT/HTTP client can all have there own socket and therefor almost communicate simultaneous (almost since it's still async and the ESP32 for example doesn't have more then 2 cores).

The PI's and ESP32 have multiple cores and uPYEasy will make use of that (Espressif's ESP32 threading is still experimental!)

karl222
Normal user

#5 Post by karl222 » 14 Jan 2018, 17:38

Many thanks for the explanation!!!

It is not even the fact that i am having a spreaded infrastructure. I want to use many adc‘s and gpio‘s as well as pwm for a battery testing station for several batteries in parallel and i am running out of tasks, especially when using esp32 but also with esp. There is not too much data to process just adc‘s and gpio‘s.
But a good point is wifi weakness when using mqtt with a server running on a raspi...

Rthernet would definitely make sense!

Regards and thanks again for the great job

Karl