HTTP Get Stream -- ESPEasy Plugin Advice Needed

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

TD-er
Core team member

Re: HTTP Get Stream -- ESPEasy Plugin Advice Needed

#51 Post by TD-er » 06 Oct 2021, 22:56

Have you checked the H-bridge can handle the 24V (and more) ?
The board I see on the photo does look like one I used a while ago and the one I had only could handle upto 18-ish Volt.

And maybe you should add a small resistor between the 24V supply and the relatively large caps.
A discharged cap acts as a short, so by adding a resistor of a few Ohm you may prevent frying your 24V power supply. (make sure to use a resistor capable of handling enough Watts, or place a few in parallel)

ThomasB
Normal user

#52 Post by ThomasB » 06 Oct 2021, 23:26

Plenty of electric valves, also with 12V and some shipping from the US, on AliExpress.
Yes, lot's of tradition water valves to choose from. But the Orbit valve is an interesting design. Amazingly it works with a battery operated controller. Two AA cells, runs all year. I don't need that kind of magic, but it's always nice to learn new home control tricks.

Speaking of AliExpress products "shipping from the USA," my experience has shown that it's not what you think. The items are still packed in China, but parcels are consolidated and freight forwarded to the USA. Upon arrival at a USA based third party shipper, the boxed orders are separated and placed into the US Postal system. Delivery still takes 5-10 weeks.

TLDR; Nothing from China is what it seems.
Most important of all: Don't forget to post a video with the sprinkler automatically shooting the raiders!
No problem, I'll post a video. Just need to finish the build.
Have you checked the H-bridge can handle the 24V (and more) ?
The board I see on the photo does look like one I used a while ago and the one I had only could handle upto 18-ish Volt.
H-Bridge module is rated at 27V, ~40A. The chosen valve needs 24V @5A peak (typically <250mS).
Data Sheets:
https://www.handsontec.com/dataspecs/mo ... Driver.pdf
https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/ ... s7960.html

Note: This module is not designed correctly for use with a high current motor (bad heat handling). But for my valve application it seems legit, even with its large heatsink removed (not needed).
And maybe you should add a small resistor between the 24V supply and the relatively large caps.
Roger that. The 24V solenoid drive circuit has a 470 ohm 1W series resistor feeding the storage caps. Charge time is under two seconds. I tested this design concept on the valve, works correctly.

I hope the WiFi Water Blaster works out. My fear is that the turkeys will eventually learn to enjoy a free bath and come back for more.

- Thomas

Wookbert
Normal user

#53 Post by Wookbert » 06 Oct 2021, 23:53

ThomasB wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 23:26 Speaking of AliExpress products "shipping from the USA" my experience has shown that it's not what you think. The items are still packed in China, but parcels are consolidated and freight forwarded to the USA. Upon arrival at a USA based third party shipper, the boxed orders are separated and placed into the US Postal system. Delivery still takes 5-10 weeks.
One has to look closely at the advertised estimated delivery date. I'm located in Germany, and while I've seen 4-6 weeks shipping all the way from China, I typically see 2-4 weeks. There is also a flag for 10-day and even 7-day shipping, at a 30-40% higher price tag. Often still a bargain though.

TD-er
Core team member

#54 Post by TD-er » 07 Oct 2021, 00:04

My experience with Amazon shipments is that you really should filter on delivery within 1 or 2 days or else it is from areas in the world from where you have to pay import duties and/or wait weeks to get it.
Even AliExpress shipping from China is then faster and less hassle.

My last order from Amazon.de (a SD card, ordered along with other parts) apparently was shipped from the UK.
I still can't find where it was stated that it would be shipped from the UK, or even outside the EU as other items I bought were all shipped from Germany.
So it took 3 weeks to get here (held by customs) and along with the extra import duties + import handling fees it was even more expensive than buying it in a store in the next town (including parking fees, petrol costs, etc.) and to make it even worse, the VAT was also paid via Amazon.
A car radio, bought via Amazon.de was sold by a reseller in .de, but shipped from China.
No duties (as they are paid through Amazon) and delivery was less than a week.

Wookbert
Normal user

#55 Post by Wookbert » 07 Oct 2021, 00:11

TD-er wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 00:04 No duties (as they are paid through Amazon) and delivery was less than a week.
The OSS (one stop shop) EU regulation introduced on July 1, 2021 requires AliExpress, ebay, Amazon and other platforms to collect taxes (and customs?) from foreign/Chinese sellers, which previously didn't pay any tax at all and simply slipped through customs, as the effort was too big for the often low value. Fortunately AliExpress took this seriously, so things haven't noticeably changed.

When ordering from Amazon, I always check for Prime offers first, which usually arrive within 24 hours. Awesome times we are living in, although I feel a bit guilty, thinking of the Amazon Warehouse employees who aren't granted toilet breaks and are wearing diapers instead, or delivery drivers who are peeing in bottles. (Just don't think about it).

TD-er
Core team member

#56 Post by TD-er » 07 Oct 2021, 00:22

I know the changes and regulations etc. for international packages.
The orders I talked about were all from after July 1st.

ThomasB
Normal user

#57 Post by ThomasB » 09 Oct 2021, 04:15

The hardware is fully assembled and mounted in a IP65 rated plastic enclosure. And a desiccant pack has been included in there. The circuit board just needs another spray of conformal coating.
ESPEasy &quot;Water Blaster&quot; sprinkler controller.
ESPEasy "Water Blaster" sprinkler controller.
Assy1.jpg (170.55 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
ESPEasy and OpenHab rules are written. Bench testing complete. All systems are go.

Too late to install today. However I should have some free time on Sunday to mount it. There's a perfect outdoor location with water and mains power. Then add turkeys, stir, and enjoy.

- Thomas

TD-er
Core team member

#58 Post by TD-er » 09 Oct 2021, 10:24

Looks great :)

Now find a good spot for the camera, have batteries full, SD card empty and go!

Wookbert
Normal user

#59 Post by Wookbert » 09 Oct 2021, 10:34

Make sure the camera gets triggered by the motion detection and records in real-time (24 fps min.) 🙃

ThomasB
Normal user

#60 Post by ThomasB » 11 Oct 2021, 03:50

Installation was completed late Saturday afternoon. Prepared for the turkey shoot on Sunday.
WiFi Sprinkler Controller (turkey splash blaster) installed, ready to run.
WiFi Sprinkler Controller (turkey splash blaster) installed, ready to run.
Installation1_1000.jpg (145.22 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Next day, Sunday AM: The first customer was a squirrel. Direct bullseye. The wet little fellow ran up a tree and spent several minutes yelling critter obscenities.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHWql25SqE

The feathered troublemakers didn't visit today. I saw the turkey gang several houses down the street. But they avoided my house. Maybe they are members of this forum and know all about my evil plan to exact wet revenge on them.

The water squirter will wait patiently for their arrival. Then it's splash time!

- Thomas

ThomasB
Normal user

#61 Post by ThomasB » 11 Oct 2021, 19:01

The bird gang arrived early this morning. Everything worked according to plan. Success!

The turkeys didn't even get wet. The defense system was triggered while they were outside the sprinkler's range. They heard its impulse noise, saw the water spray, and quickly moved away from the area. Seems they don't care for a cold shower.

Here's a snapshot from their visit:
Turkey visit cut short by sprinkler.
Turkey visit cut short by sprinkler.
TurkeyVisit_10-11-2021c.jpg (316.77 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Here's a snapshot from a couple weeks ago, before the system was installed.
Turkey Playtime, earlier times.
Turkey Playtime, earlier times.
Turkey_Visit_09-22-2021.jpg (291 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
- Thomas

Wookbert
Normal user

#62 Post by Wookbert » 11 Oct 2021, 19:06

Only problem is that it might get icy/slippery in winter. Hopefully they’ve learned their lesson by then.

ThomasB
Normal user

#63 Post by ThomasB » 11 Oct 2021, 19:27

Only problem is that it might get icy/slippery in winter.
Good point. I could add a rule in OpenHab that disables the sprinkler during freezing temperatures. Fortunately I'm in a west coast USA region where freezing is rarely a concern.

BTW, these birds are fair weather visitors. I never see them during the cold winter months. So I plan on removing the system in a few weeks and store it until next spring.
Hopefully they’ve learned their lesson by then.
I'm hoping for that too. That would allow me to relocate the system to our backyard fish pond. There's some hungry Blue Herons that need a reason to eat elsewhere.

- Thomas

Ath
Normal user

#64 Post by Ath » 11 Oct 2021, 20:21

It sure does look like a success :D
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Wookbert
Normal user

#65 Post by Wookbert » 28 Oct 2021, 18:15

Can we get an update? Have the feathered beasts learned their lesson? Have they left the country with Thanksgiving ahead?

ThomasB
Normal user

#66 Post by ThomasB » 28 Oct 2021, 19:26

It's been working fantastically. Our turkey and squirrel visitors continue to experienced a free bath. Garden mess is gone.

The birds are either stubborn or have short memories; They continue to test the system. They are timid now and tend to walk slowly near the splash zone. But most days they still get too close and make the sprinkler angry. When that happens they run off like their hair is on fire.

- Thomas

Wookbert
Normal user

#67 Post by Wookbert » 28 Oct 2021, 19:36

😅

TD-er
Core team member

#68 Post by TD-er » 28 Oct 2021, 19:49

Great :)

I bet you could make the frontpage of Hackaday with it if you write a blogpost about it :)

ThomasB
Normal user

#69 Post by ThomasB » 28 Oct 2021, 20:33

@all, Thanks for the kind remarks / feedback.

FWIW, I've had some personal projects published as feature articles on H-A-D . Always an honor to be noticed. But the reader comments can be cruel for no reason other than that is the nature of internet couch critics.

- Thomas