Unreliable switch control by event system and RFlink

About receivers, transmitters, transceivers, connections, antennas etc.

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

WivdBo
New user

Unreliable switch control by event system and RFlink

#1 Post by WivdBo » 18 Mar 2018, 22:19

Case: I just want to automate that a switch is activated when the PIR detects motion.
When i activate the switch directly via the domoticz app or the switch page of the domoticz website than the reliablility is 100%. I works perfect after sending an on or off action.
But when i make a Blocky or dzVenz program where i programmed that the switch must go on when the PIR is activated than the reliability is lower than approxemetly 30%. Sometimes the switch will go on but most of the times it doesn’t

Situation:
• Synology nas DS214play with recent OS DSM 6.1.5 and Domiticz 3.0.8914-7
• Arduino mega ch340 with rflink (433.9 Mhz) from nodo shop with firmware R48
• Wireless power outlet switch like Kaku or easyhome
• PIR motion sensor Digoo

When i look in the Domoticz log then you can see the signal of the PIR device and that the program is activated and that rflink sends the next command:
2018-03-18 20:51:38.257 EventSystem: Script event triggered: /usr/local/domoticz/var/dzVents/runtime/dzVents.lua
2018-03-18 20:51:38.324 RFLink Sending: 10;NewKaku;a705d6;3;ON

That is triggerd (and logged) reliable but no reliable response of the switch.

I have changed realy everything.
• Instead of blocky i used dzVenz
• Instead of kaku switch used easy home switch of old kaku switch
• Downgrade software rflink, downgrade software domoticz
• Started new with empty domoticz database and added the devices new again
• Used the 10uf condensator trick
That all didn’t help at all
Instead of sending one switch on command i sended 5 with some delay. That increases the reliability some but still no 100%.
I have bought a raspberry pi and installed domoticz on it. The results of the test decreased from 30% to 5 or 10% reliability. So it was getting more worse! But likewise with the Synology nas, switching with the app or the domoticz webpage worked 100%.

Conclusion was that when the switch was activated by the eventsystem it is not reliable. I cannot explain this when working with the app or the switch page of domoticz works perfect.
I have the same issue also with doorswitches or other control devices.

Please help!!!

Stuntteam
Site Beheer

Re: Unreliable switch control by event system and RFlink

#2 Post by Stuntteam » 18 Mar 2018, 23:06

The problem is probably the PIR.
The obvious part is that when a PIR detects motion it sends a signal.
However, less known is that there are various PIR's and also door/window contacts that repeat this signal for a duration up to 5 seconds.
During that time the frequency is occupied and thus blocked for other signals..
This means you have to wait with triggering the switch until the PIR is done transmitting.

Also, some PIR's are smart enough to have a delay after motion detection so that they do not send a signal again within a short period of time..
There are PIR's that just keep on sending for as long as there is motion, making these devices unsuitable in combination with actions like turning other devices on/off.
-=# RFLink Gateway Development Team #=-
Introduction: http://www.nemcon.nl/blog2/
Generic Support forum: http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

WivdBo
New user

Re: Unreliable switch control by event system and RFlink

#3 Post by WivdBo » 19 Mar 2018, 21:55

What can i Say.....

Yeahhhh, many thanks for this tip. I was to much focused on a to short delay. When i increased the delay to just 1 second the reliability increased a lot.
Now it is much more reliable!!!
It also explaines why it worked worse with the raspberry pi. Because the Pi was much faster than the synology, so the disturbance was much more due to earlier activation.

Next time i shall post sooner my issues, thats for sure!!!
Many, many thanks for the tip and i am an enthausiastic Domoticz and Rflink user again!!!